Current:Home > MarketsJohn Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -LegacyBuild Academy
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 16:41:32
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry, and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (5681)
Related
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- Republicans challenge North Carolina decision that lets students show university’s mobile ID
- Longtime Mexican drug cartel leader set to be arraigned in New York
- Max Verstappen has a ‘monster’ to tame in Baku as Red Bull’s era of F1 dominance comes under threat
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza & Wings parent company BurgerFi files for bankruptcy
- Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza & Wings parent company BurgerFi files for bankruptcy
- Justin Timberlake expected in New York court to plead guilty in drunken driving case
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Studies on pigeon-guided missiles, swimming abilities of dead fish among Ig Nobles winners
Ranking
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- North Carolina Gov. Cooper’s second-term environmental secretary is leaving the job
- Dolphins will bring in another quarterback, while Tagovailoa deals with concussion
- Jack Antonoff Has Pitch Perfect Response to Rumor He Put in Earplugs During Katy Perry’s VMAs Performance
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Jason Kelce Introduces Adorable New Member of His and Kylie Kelce’s Family
- Dolphins will bring in another quarterback, while Tagovailoa deals with concussion
- Longtime Mexican drug cartel leader set to be arraigned in New York
Recommendation
Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
Plants and flowers safe for cats: A full list
Man convicted of killing 4 at a Missouri motel in 2014
Longtime Mexican drug cartel leader set to be arraigned in New York
Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
Idaho high court says trial for man charged with killing 4 university students will be held in Boise
Marcellus Williams' Missouri execution to go forward despite prosecutor's concerns
De'Von Achane injury updates: Latest on Dolphins RB's status for Thursday's game vs. Bills